Welcome to October!

It's getting colder here in Germany and the leaves have suddenly started changing colour. The evenings are downright cool and I have actually played with the heaters. I was walking home tonight after supervising a Grade 6-8 dance.. oh the joy! and suddenly realized that I feel very much at home here. I'm rather shocked with how easy it was to transition myself into this country and community. Granted, it's not perfect but it's not horrible either... not the least bit horrible.

I guess that just goes to show how adaptable people really are. I was so settled when I used to live in Canada and I wondered if I'd ever be able to feel at home anywhere else. Then Indonesia happened and by the end of three years, while I was ready to go, I was also very much at home in that environment. And now here I am... settling into life in Germany.
I feel accepted by my colleagues at work and I know all of my students' names.. well except that creepy kid who lurks in the corner. No place will ever really and truly replace "home" in my mind but it's nice to know that I can "set up shop" in a different country and be okay.

On Saturday afternoon I went for a walk along the Rhein. I needed some fresh air and wanted to just escape. I took my iPod and my cool little backpack
(thanks Joey!) and my notebook and off I went. It was a beautiful warm day with a lovely breeze. I walked and walked and snapped a few pictures along the way. I was pretty sure that this would be one of the last days of this sort for quite a while. People were out and about, biking and running and walking and rollerblading and just taking advantage of the warm weather. I detoured into the little village and picked up some fresh bread and meat and cheese and took it home for a late lunch. It was a great afternoon!

I just finished teaching my last two days of classes and have one more day of Professional Development before I'm on holidays. Friday is Unification Day and then we have the whole next week off. A friend and I are actually going to Poland for the week. I never knew I wanted to go to Poland but Krakow is supposed to be a pretty incredible place. Not only are there things to see but it is supposedly very inexpensive. I'll let you know how it goes.. and if it does turn out to be too costly.. well that's why I won't be home for Christmas! But if all goes according to plan.. I'll be there!

I'm still plugging away at my German class. The language is actually quite difficult and my pronunciation is garbage so I think my goal will have to change slightly. I was hoping to be able to read a chick-lit novel in German by December but I'm opting for being able to have a basic conversation.
And that's it from me.. oh one last thing:
Did you know that Oktoberfest is actually in September?? Well now you do!
3 comments:
Lovely stuff. A walk along the Rhine. Feeling at home in Dusseldorf. How prosaic! And have a wonderful time in the Land of the Poles. (I for one hope you do make it home for Christmas!)
The creepy kid's name is Cody. Possibly Jesse. Those are by far the most common names of kids that Chris arrests. Not saying that every kid skulking in the corner is doing something arrest worthy. And not saying that should you name your son Cody that he is destined to be a felon. Just looking at the law of averages, I would avoid it if possible.
And here is a question I heard posed by a comedian years ago: If people from Poland are called Poles, why are people from Holland not called Holes?
deep thoughts.
and I second the hope that you have enough to still come home for Christmas! Love you!
Love your pictures and hearing about how you are settling in so nicely. Enjoy Poland... I hope you take lots of pics. :)
Post a Comment