Friday, February 5, 2010

"Things have a way..."

"Things have a way of turning out so badly" is a line from Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, a play I have been teaching for the past 5 years. While a rather depressing tale, there is something to it that affects me everytime I teach it. Anyway after a whole big kerfuffel, near the end of the play Amanda Wingfield turns to her grown son and says the line I just quoted. While perhaps this is true for some people and sometimes true for me, the line has been running through my head a lot lately.

HOLD ON! This is not a "whining in Germany" post by any means. I just like the quote and wanted to use it... so I did.

Let's change the quote. Things have been turning much more differently from what I had imagined. Two months ago I was set to kiss Europe goodbye and make Asia my next destination... again. Through a variety of exciting and not-so-exciting developments, my plan has changed. But then again.. when was it ever really my plan anyway?

I have had a real change of heart and decided to stay on in Germany for at least one more year. I mean I couldn't start yet another blog... that would be crazy! So much has happened and while I partially understand what is going on, I am completely baffled at the same time. I find that my whole desire to move to Hong Kong has completely disappeared, which is weird because it's been a driving force in my life for the past 4.5 years. Around Christmas time I made a list of reasons to stay and reasons to go, since asking for my job back (hello unresignation) some of those reasons for staying are no longer valid. This has left me with nothing to do but trust in God. I am continually practicing the whole "walking without wavering" idea (Psalm 26) and just trusting God to take me or keep me where He needs me. It's almost comical how calm I've become. I'm actually content to just keep walking along and see where I end up and why I end up exactly there.

I didn't ever actually really plan to move to Indonesia and I certainly didn't pick Germany as a top pick and I really didn't mean to stay longer than my 2 year contract.. and so.. well.. it is nice that it's not up to me. It's been a great ride so far and I can only imagine it is just going to get better!

So yes.. things have a way of turning out... so unexpectedly...

3 comments:

Kate said...

You're lovely, you know that? As much as I hate that you live so far, I've enjoyed seeing God work in your life and you being so open to His plan. Hopefully His next plan is teaching in Ontario.
I love you!

Jeremy W. Johnston said...

...unexpected, but also pretty exciting!

Barbara said...

Well, well, well....who knew? I would certainly like to have a nice long talk with you. I, too, watch your life with breathless anticipation to see what the Lord will do with the lovely Miss Jessica. What a super, otherworldly perspective you have on all this. Nicely done!