Sunday, November 9, 2008

Paris by night...

I was in complete awe of Notre Dame.
It really is really quite spectacular.

For some reason the Eiffel Tower was blue. The stars indicate all the European Union countries.. so says the Humanities teacher who was with us.
A quaint little cafe that was so warmly lit and inviting.. it was all I could do not to break away from the pack I was with and go inside. I shall return!


This past week my school sent me to a conference held in France. I was very excited when I found out that I would be going to Paris and immediately started envisioning myself sitting in some quaint little cafe and drinking coffee or sipping wine and writing in my journal. That vision was quickly shattered when I was informed that our conference was to be held at Euro Disney! The horror, the horror! How can one such ideal be replaced by something so vulgar?

Well the conference was held at a huge hotel that is part of the Euro Disney Empire. Needless to say it was filled with children, large stuffed costumed adults (Mickey, Minnie and Donald), a Monk convention (bizarre) and a soon to grow very irritating in-hotel Disney band. This meant that trips into Paris were essential to our sanity. So each night after the workshops were finished, we'd head into the city to enjoy Paris. I only saw it in the dark but what a city it was! I do plan to go back sometime soon and really take it all in.. and see what it looks like in the light.

2 comments:

ZACK said...

LOL! At least you are in Europe.

I want to study abroad next summer, but it's hard to get a school loan for it. But I applaud your efforts to teach kids. It's really commendable.

Barbara said...

what? you don't heart life-sized mice? I can't imagine why... That cafe has your name all over it. Sit and have a cup for me some day.

oh and how appropriate? my word verification is "theses". Maybe while you are sitting in said cafe you could write a thesis or two... perhaps on the vulgarity of loud Disney bands?